Stormwater Management

Report Illicit Discharge

Three Ways to Report an Illicit Discharge

If you observe illicit discharges to the storm sewer system, you can report the activity by:

  1. Calling the Township of Pine at 724-625-1591 (M-F, 8:00 AM. - 4:30 PM.)
  2. Calling the Allegheny 911 for emergency reporting
  3. Complete and Submit the Citizen Complaint Form 

What is an Illicit Discharge?

Illicit discharges, also known as illegal discharges, are the introduction of non-stormwater runoff, sewage, or hazardous materials into the public stormwater system.

Illicit Discharge Examples

Illicit discharges are:

  • Effluent from septic tanks
  • Gasoline and automotive fluid spills
  • Illegal dumping of household hazardous waste, such as paint
  • Improper disposal of auto and household toxins
  • Improper disposal of yard waste, such as leaves
  • Laundry wastewaters
  • Sanitary wastewater
  • Sediment and pollutants from construction sites
  • Vehicle wash wastewater

Non-Illicit Discharge Items

With certain conditions, the following are not illicit discharges:

  • Dust control water
  • Lawn water
  • Permitted discharges covered under another permit
  • Street / sidewalk wash water
  • Swimming pool discharge
  • Water line or hydrant flush water

Illicit discharges are not:

  • Air conditioning condensate
  • Crawl space pump discharge
  • Groundwater
  • Footing drains
  • Foundation drains
  • Irrigation water from agricultural sources